Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Some Common Facts
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Some Common Facts. Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is an illness that exhibits symptoms
in patients like constant exhaustion and flu-like symptoms, that do not go away as true flu normally does.
Persons who suffer from CFS find themselves experiencing extreme fatigue for more than a day after doing any
strenuous physical activity.
CFS Symptoms: The following is a list of symptoms one may experience while suffering from CFS
according to a study conducted by a International Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Study Group:
- Loss of ability to remember or to be able to concentrate
- Sore throat
- Axilla (armpit) and neck lymph nodes that become slightly enlarged and become painful
- Muscle soreness that cannot be explained away as having occurred from normal causes
- Joint pain without accompanying redness or swelling that is experienced in more than one joint
- Unusual headaches that differ in type of pain, in pattern or in the severity of pain
- Disturbances in sleep patterns
- Intense exhaustion following normal type and duration of exercise
Other symptoms reported by CFS sufferers have been:
- Pain in the abdominal area
- Intolerance to alcohol
- Bloating Pain in the chest region
- Cough that is chronic (over a long period of time)
- Eyes and mouth that become noticeably dry
- Heartbeats that become irregular in timing
- Stiffness of joints especially in the early morning
- Sweating while asleep at night
- Periods of depression,
- feeling anxious or experiencing panic attacks
- Experiencing periods of being short of breath
- Feeling tingling sensations
- Noticing weight loss
Physicians have reported two types of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome; they are Sudden Onset and Gradual
Chronic Fatigue Fast Facts
Statistics And Myths Behind Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) estimated in early 1990's that 10 in every 100,000 persons were medically treated for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. A prevalence study in 1999 evaluated a large random sample of persons living in the metropolitan Chicago area. The study revealed rates of 422 persons per 100,000. More recent studies came to the conclusion that there are 800,000 adults in the USA that have been seen by medical personnel and have exhibited symptoms of Chronic Fatigue Symptom. This...
They report that the Sudden Onset, seems to occur quite suddenly and is often times followed symptoms of a flu-like
virus, or the patient may have recently suffered a severe infection or some other type of illness just prior to
noticing the CFS symptoms.
Some patients reported with having suffered an emotional stress prior to the symptoms. The Gradual
Onset type of CFS were patients that observed milder symptoms that appeared more slowly over time, and increased in
Because their symptoms occur over time and are mild most of these patients did not pay as much
attention and may have thought they were experiencing other mild diseases or simply dismissed them as being caused
by possibly stress or some other vague reason.
Not until their symptoms became chronic that they become concerned enough to consult a physician.
Also Referred To As: You may have heard CFS referred to by other names such as: simply Chronic Fatigue or Immune
Dysfunction Syndrome (CFIDS).
Others call it Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), or Post-Viral Fatigue Syndrome (PVFS). It does not
matter much which name you chose to call this illness, the effects must be overwhelming to the sufferer and to
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Facts
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome can be very difficult to diagnose correctly in children because the
nature of the symptoms often mimic other diseases.
The Doctor will need to run tests to rule out any other possible cause for the child’s
As you can imagine those suffering from either form of CFS must experience devastation, as the
disease robs them of energy to complete even simple daily tasks.
CFS patients are in chronic pain and long-term pain has been known to lead to depression.
Physicians often times have difficulty diagnosing CFS due to the widespread symptoms those who suffer from it may